Monday 5 December 2011

Nearly there Then.



So the shop commissions are finished I liked the fact we had to spend the day in Roses and chat and just be friends really I think this was an interesting thing to take forward but for this project the work came first. I suppose you could do a day in residence in a shop and see what you came up with a bit like our Cafe residencies. I agree with Kate in that the wall paper feels like the piece which sums up the project best - the idea to decorate came from Cath in the shop and the idea for the paper came from us and we had it printed and made locally. It also looked nice in the show at Yorkshire Arts Space as it's function was really clear - a bit "The medium is the message." people say this a lot and I read the article by Marshall Mcluhan the other day but I didn't really understand it - the titles the best thing about it.

It was good to have a nice day in Parson Cross hanging the paper it made things seem simpler again. The show at YAS was good in it's own way but it stirred me up a bit. It made me wonder if it was the right thing to do. I was pretty sure it was until we did it and I feel it brought things full circle and asked a question about context but I wonder if in-fact we already new the answer. In the context of cultural provision and what we had been asked to explore for Yorkshire artspace it was important but the question it raised about context and meaning doesn't carry back into Parson Cross and if it does I'm not sure it's relevant.

Anyway it was great to see the shop commissions finished and strangely for me doing the last two my brain switched so when stuff was in the show I could only see it in the shops but because we did the last two the other way around I could see the work in the show which might just be me but again it could be the start of some new ideas for developing work in future projects.

Eric at the butchers has moved the window around and used some of the stickers as part of his Christmas display which I really like as it's not just up it's become functional a bit like Pauls Stallions sign its been adopted and become useful. I thought it might be interesting to do something about which things look most like art in the different places a bit like our "Aura Scorer" building on Walter Benjamin. We could do a table with each object and each context and then have a column for "Art" and a column for "Function" score each object in the different context and then do a colour coded graph.

2 comments:

  1. Another waste of public money! This tenant has left and the shop redecorated. Still, it's good for those benefitting from the public purse at the expense of Parson Cross!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another waste of public money! This tenant has left and the shop redecorated. Still, it's good for those benefitting from the public purse at the expense of Parson Cross!

    ReplyDelete