Tuesday 5 July 2011

the 3 W's

I can't view David Sloan Wilson's film - apparently my computer is too old and I am working behind an administrative firewall - all of which could be mildly concerning except that the sun is shining.
I too have been thinking about the Whats, Whys and Wherefores of working in Parson Cross; the simple answer to The What might be because we, Yorkshire Artspace, are opening new artists studios bang in the middle of this neighbourhood. The Why is because we feel we should be open and accessible to the people who live there. And The Wherefores (apparently an old word used for asking why) is why would people want to be involved in what we do? Is it a bit presumptuous to think people will be interested? A lot of contemporary art turns me off and I want to know what might capture peoples interest enough to make them want to engage and do something out of their ordinary.
So this work is presenting a lot of questions but I suppose my reason for doing it is the possibility that someone might find it interesting and that it might bring a bit of something different to the ordinary...and if it we are 'capable of change [both selfishily and altruistically] depending on environment and interation with individuals' as David Sloan Wilson claims then even better.

1 comment:

  1. If anyone at Yorkshire Artspace had taken the time, they would have discovered there are some very talented people on Parson Cross. Still, there are none so blind as those who don't want to see. This is now 2017 and has Parson Cross benefited from Yorkshire Artspace having been in the area. For myself, I think they have done more harm than good. Check out 'Rotting Heads on Parson Cross' video on the internet. They must be really proud of this piece of work!

    ReplyDelete